Monday, November 14, 2005

The Sweet Smell of Avoidance

Cleaning is such the perfect activity when one is procrastinating for all one is worth, is it not? Yes, yes. I have an article I could be writing, but instead I have thoroughly cleaned and organized the living and dining rooms (to the point of rearranging DVDs and moving a bunch of kid books and stuff up to their rooms). I have also cleaned my computer desktop, caught up on logging my sales tax receipts (yes, I am a freak, thank you very much), and updated Quicken in preparation for balancing my checkbook (every month, to the penny - freak!).

The article isn't due tomorrow or anything, but it's starting to niggle at the back of my brain, giving me the feeling that the Sword of Damocles is, if not right over my head, at least right outside the front door waiting to get me when I walk through.

It's all good though. Because in the next two weeks I will manage not only to get the article done - on time! - but also to get the guest room painted and set up for our Thanksgiving guest, pay all my bills, blog, find an Incredibles poster on eBay for the kids, schedule several holiday activities, see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and floss every single day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many creative people CANNOT create without cleaning first. This is often true for me: I find cleaning very meditative, and it allows me time to think about what I'm going to compose. In this case I wouldn't consider it procrastination. Good luck!a

Lora said...

In college my bedroom was never as clean as it was during finals week.

Kristina said...

Sisters! Thanks, and you're right. I think it tells me that what I really need to do is have a whole queue of writing/creative things lined up. My house would be spotless and fab. :)