Saturday, November 05, 2005

Rain Rain Go Away

Today was the kind of day that those who don't know much about Seattle think is typical. It started raining early this morning, and hasn't stopped, hasn't even let up a little bit. It's a steady, drenching downpour with no end in sight. And it's cold. And it's gloomy.

"But you chose to live in Seattle and everyone knows it rains there all the time," says our clueless fictional antagonist, "what are you complaining about?"

The thing is - this kind of rain isn't at all typical. The kind of rain we get most often here is a light drizzle, oftentimes not even enough to bother with an umbrella over. In fact, Stephen and I complain endlessly while watching Grey's Anatomy, much as we love the show, because they have it raining like this all the time, throwing in some lovely thunderstorms for good measure.

So yeah - I do get grumpy when we get this kind of weather, just like I would were I living someplace that didn't have the rep for rain that we do. Bring back my sweet drizzle, oh weather gods. A sunbreak would be all that and a bag of chips.

Luckily, the kids and I (Stephen is away on a business trip this weekend) had a plan that was perfect for rainy day weather - a trip to the Northwest Puppet Center. It's one of the arts venues that I adore in this city, and it's right in our neighbourhood. We saw a lovely performance of Raven and the Box of Daylight which was just the antidote for such a gloomy, dark day.

3 comments:

protected static said...

The Boy's class just saw that yesterday - he loved it.

And if it makes you feel any better, I was thinking more or less the same thing. Caught something in the paper yesterday or today that a typical Seattle October is about 20% overcast - and we had something like 60% or 70% this year, so it isn't your imagination.

Janet said...

You and the weather! But at least you enjoyed the thea-tah! Darian's class is going to that performance next week!

PS- 4 feet of snow in the mountains!! My husband's dream has come true!

Kristina said...

Yep, the snow is a nice byproduct, I must admit. My husband is quite geeked about the prospect of getting back to skiing this year too.