Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Feel the Numa

Well damn. Colour me late on this particular internet fad (and thanks to Terry for forwarding it on where all my other virtual friends have failed me!), but today I am BOPPING in my seat and grinning like a fool watching a funny geeky boy from New Jersey lip-synching and doing his Numa Numa dance.

I'm not completely sure why this video clip makes me so happy. Certainly the song is catchy as all hell and thanks to the wonder that is the Apple music store, it is now in heavy rotation in our household (Stephen - I'm so very sorry). But it's more than just the fun of some silly Europop. There's joy that bubbles up when I watch it - I can feel it flow out into my arms and legs until it's nearly impossible to contain and I'm chair dancing along with him.

I love watching this guy get swept up in the music, letting it move through him. It's earnest and genuine, and he's having a lot of fun while also giving an impressively hilarious performance. He reminds me of my friends - hell, he reminds me of ME, or the me I would love to be if I had it in me to put myself out there and perform. How many times do I stand at the bus stop listening to my iPod and it's all I can do not to sing at the top of my lungs and break out in riotous arm-waving, head-thrashing, booty-shaking dance. I have this fantasy. I don't do it though... well, at least I haven't done it yet. I'm afraid that instead of amusing anyone I would probably scare them instead. People acting crazy on or near busses get a bad rap - go figure.

Sadly, although Gary (that's his name) has made a lot of people happy with his video, he's not very happy about it himself. Stupid stories like this article in the New York Times, just don't get it, making an issue of his size and basically branding him as "a pudgy guy" who has humiliated himself on the internet. Is it any wonder he's gone into seclusion and wants it to all go away? It makes me furious.

I hope he comes to realize one day that we're laughing at him but not at HIM. Gary. Dude - thank you. We need the funny and the laughter right now and you're a damn fine performer. Take the opportunity, run with it, and don't look back.

No comments: