Friday, March 25, 2005

The Bunny, The Bunny, Whoa I Love The Bunny

Ah, Easter is almost here. I have to admit that I'm a big fan of the holiday, even though for me it has always been a completely secular, yay! it's spring celebration. The Christians can have their resurrected saviour as long as I can get in on the bunnies, the egg hunt (and egg-breaking contest), the chocolate and - oh, baby! - the Peeps.

Tomorrow we'll dye eggs and although this year our artistry is destined to be courtesy of Paas, I've been decided that next year we're going try to dye some of them the traditional Lithuanian way. (Yes. We Lithuanians take our Easter eggs seriously. Wanna make something of it?) Growing up, I loved how my bobute always dyed her eggs with onion peels, turning them a beautiful reddish-brown. I think it would be very cool pass on this bit of their heritage to the kidlets.

Then, on Sunday morning before we start searching for the eggs (and counting to make sure we don't end up with any smelly forgotten surprises in a week!) we'll find out what lovely scene the Easter bunny has left for us... every year he gathers up all the stuffed bunnies in the house and organizes an activity. Then, when we stumble out bleary-eyed in the morning, we catch them (though of course they freeze as soon as we show up). One year it was a tea party, another year they spent their animate time doing jigsaw puzzles. This year - who knows?

I just hope they remember to start the coffee.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Thanks for letting me know about my template problems. I haven't changed it back and I hope to avoid doing so. I know so little about this html stuff, but I'm going to try to figure it out. Like you, I just don't want my blog to look like everybody else's.

I enjoyed your link about the egg's, they are beautiful and it was an interesting read.

I too have a love of Easter traditions, without a love of the Christian doctrine. Perhaps, if I reframe it to think of it as celebration of Spring I'll stop feeling like a hypocrite for embracing the holiday traditions.

Kristina said...

Good luck in figuring it out. If you'd like, cut and paste your template into a text file and send it to my e-mail address... I'd be happy to take a look at it. I think it will look great when you get the layout issues fixed.

And yannow... Easter (Eostre), like Christmas (Yule) and other "Christian" holidays was a pagan celebration to begin with. Those innocent little bunnies are all about fertility. *g* So embrace away!