Monday, February 21, 2005

You and Me of the 10,000 Words

(Apologies to William and Anastasia and Stephen and Sandy who have all heard this said by me, oh at LEAST 10,000 times in the last two weeks.)

In case you're wondering, 10,000 words is a LOT. In Microsoft (a word that is anathema to me today) Word, it's roughly 17 pages, single-spaced, Times New Roman 12-point typeface. (Jer, we're talking roughly 60,000 characters... I knew you'd wonder.) Yes. I checked. While I was supposed to be actually PRODUCING 10,000 words, I instead cut and pasted the word "word" until I had 10,000 of them. Hoo-boy. It's a lot. Really and truly. A feckin' lot.

Now, I've posted well over 10K words on this blog in the last year (<grump>and if Blogger would ever fix its stat collection, I might be able to tell you exactly how many.</grump>) and that's been a pleasure. But a) it's engaging writing that I enjoy doing, b) it's about me and my life, a supremely interesting subject (*cough*), and c) it has been over the course of a year plus.

But instead, I'm chronicling the Clusterfuck of Errors that is Microsoft. I will never EVER understand why you Windows people put up with it. I mean... reallly. I can see it at work, if it's forced on you (I'm in that boat myself) but WHY oh WHY would the majority of people want this caca in their home? I don't understand it in the way I don't understand Republicanism or Nascar or how anyone could hate George Clooney.

What I really want to write, but would NOT get paid for it is... "You're seeing this error because you're using an inferior and kludgy operating system that leaves you open to all kinds of problems that sane people never encounter as they're running OS X on their beautiful iBooks or G5s or Minis. Solution: GET A MAC!"

Ahem. There, I feel a little better now. 6600 down. Another 400 to go before I let myself sleep tonight. 3,000 more by the end of the week. Soon it will be like a bad dream where I was wandering in the desert without water, wearing shoes made of razorblades, carrying an elephant with very bad gas.

A bed to be made, and a bed to lie in.

1 comment:

~ap said...

oh good lord! *wipes eyes*

you funny good girl.

keep it up.

loves....