Saturday, February 12, 2005

Congratulations Howard Dean, DNC Chairman!

Those who know me, who read my blog about a year ago, know of my support for Howard Dean. I was devastated when Dean withdrew from the presidential race and though I came to embrace Kerry's candidacy and worked my ass off to get Bush out of office (not that there was much choice in the matter), I take no pleasure in the fact that I predicted the outcome of choosing a candidate based on perceived "electability" rather than on what you feel in your heart is right.

So it might seem strange that I haven't mentioned a word about Dean's bid for the Chairmanship of the Democratic National Committee. I haven't written about it, have talked very little about it with friends and other party activists, and if the topic has veered in that direction I've either changed the subject or hedged bets... lots of "we'll see" and "maybe" and "probably won't happen" have crossed my lips and screen.

Even when all the other contenders had dropped out of the race, when all the Dems who had opposed him started falling in line and talking about the transition, when John Kerry himself sent me e-mail encouraging me to get behind Howard (as if!), I remained guarded. The Eye of Sauron never sleeps, yannow, and I was taking no chances.

But this morning it's official and I will shout it from the rooftops (YEAAAAAAARRRGHHHH!!!!) and drink the champagne that has been sitting, forlorn, in my refrigerator since November 2nd. Howard now leads the Democratic party. There is hope again.

Join me, in welcoming our new Chairman, and let's show the power of the grassroots. This donation link is being shared by lots of blogs, and will send the message that we're Democrats, that we're fully in support of the winds of change that are blowing... that we're ready to take back our country.

Contribution amount:
$





Note: Be patient... the donation site is being hit HARD right now and it might take a while to get through. Not a bad problem to have though, eh?

Note2: Current donation total in case you're interested.

1 comment:

~ap said...

ahhhhhhh. good to see you back again.

keep those homefires burnin' for all of us, and even my jaded self might believe we can take '08.