Saturday, February 26, 2005

A Happy Consumer Am I!

Can I just say that Crate and Barrel rocks like a big rocky thing? Not only do they have very nice stuff that I like a lot, they also have a kick-ass customer satisfaction policy. To whit: I bought a duvet cover back in December - this one in fact. And I love it. Once we get the fugly wallpaper off and pretty new paint up, it will look really great. But there is one thing about it that bothers me. Even though we have a king-size duvet and ordered a king-size cover... it's too big. REALLY too big, by several inches all-round.

We washed it, hoping it would shrink but no luck. So I resigned myself to living with it since I wasn't about to go spend MORE money on a different one. Then this morning, while changing the linens, I snapped. I called Crate and Barrel's national customer service line and told them my sad story... about how much I love the cover but it doesn't fit and it's been two months and I don't have the receipt anymore and is there ANYTHING they can do?

"Sure," says the nice lady. "Take it back to the store and they'll give you a smaller one."

"Really? Even though I don't have any of the packaging or receipts?"

"Yes. We want you to be satisifed with your purchase."

So call the Seattle store I did. And they ordered the queen-size cover and it will be in next Thursday. And I'll even get a credit for the difference. That, my friends, is how you build customer loyalty.

And to top it all off, they get a "Dark Blue" rating on BuyBlue.org based on their political contributions in the 2003-2004 election cycle. So I can spend my money there and know that some of it goes to support the good guys. How cool is that?

No comments: