Sunday, January 02, 2005

Paving the road to hell

Today I've been thinking about the year ahead and the things I'd like to accomplish. I won't call them resolutions because like so many others I'm just not that good at maintaining resolve. Instead, I'm calling them intentions. This is what I've come up with so far, in no particular order.

  1. Continue the switch to organic foods. We do a decent job of it already, but we could do better with a little advanced planning. This includes buying more local produce - so the corollary is that once the U. District Farmer's Market starts up again, I want to try to make it weekly and buy all our stuff there while it's in season.


  2. Get in shape. I know, I know. How cliche does it get? But I've indulged far too much over the last several months and I'd like my clothes to fit better. Plus, I'm SO out of shape that the laughing I did yesterday is still with me today in the form of seriously sore abs. So sad.


  3. Re-institute the practice of having at least one night per month where we have dinner guests. More would be nice, but once/month is a good starting point. We did this for quite a while, until I started massage school, and it was great. We've just not gotten back into the habit and now is as good a time as any.


  4. Pick up the guitar daily, even if just for a few minutes, and practice. Sophie got a kid-sized guitar for Christmas and it has inspired me to pull mine out and even to find some of my music books. I would like to get to the point where I'm able to play a reasonable number of chords and make the changes smoothly enough so that we could have some fun sing-a-longs rather than forcing the family to listen to

    <strum> Where have all the... long pause...
    <strum> flowers gone... long pause...
    <strum> long time... long pause...
    <strum> passing...


  5. Keep a list of all the books I read. I don't know why I've never done this, or why I even want to. But I do, so I will.


  6. Blog more frequently. Nuff said.


  7. Get something published under my own name (ghostwriting doesn't count) that I get paid for, even if it's a pittance.


So there it is. Out there in the Universe for all to see. Next time you e-mail, feel free ask about one of 'em. It'll keep me honest.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You probably already know about these, but if not, you might poke at http://www.43things.com and http://www.allconsuming.net (for intentions and books, respectively.)

ML

Kristina said...

Wow! No I wasn't aware of either of them. Can't connect to 43things right now, but All Consuming rocks! Thanks, sir - and glad to have you reading. :)

Anonymous said...

Um... because you heard that Art Garfunkel, of all people, keeps a list of all the books he's ever read, perhaps?

Kristina said...

That is quite a list, one to make any English major (raises hand) swoon. Damn, but I've missed tracking years of good reading! But why "of all people"? Art's a good guy!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and this link too: http://www.delicious-monster.com
Wave your iSight at your bookshelves instead of typing all those titles :)

Kristina said...

Oh. My. Gawd. I must have that.