Saturday, January 01, 2005

Happy New Year!

And honestly what I want to add with every bit of snark I can muster is ... "and good fucking riddance to the old." How easy it would be to write 2004 off entirely as one of the worst ever. Globally and politically it really just sucked like the biggest of sucky things.

But you know what? As this new year begins it's a good time for me to remember that every moment I have in this incarnation is a gift. The sudden and devastating loss of life wreaked by the southeast Asian tsunami reinforces that, highlighting that I wake up every morning having only that moment of waking, and then if I'm lucky the next and the next and the next. Hopefully, there will be a very long line of nexts. But there are no guarantees, nothing that promises that a beautiful sunny day won't end in tragedy, the final next realized.

So instead of mourning the past or wishing for a better future, I spent this New Year's Day living in the now, enjoying my family, and laughing so hard with friends that tears ran down my face and my stomach is sore. And I spent it being thankful for my family and friends, for the fact that I have a home and food and people who love me. And for my iPod. And George Clooney.

Not a bad way to spend a few nexts, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a really nice post, and a sensibly grateful way of looking at things.

terrilynn