Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Why am I here?

If you're looking for this to be the philosophical post that explores one the deepest questions that humanity has asked through the ages, you're going to be very disappointed. Think much more literally. The question, more precisely, is "why am I here writing, rather than sitting over there working on the many many things that I need to finish so that I can graduate from Brenneke in less than two months?"

The answer can be found in one of my favourite essays of all time, Structured Procrastination, written by Stanford philosophy professor, John Perry. I don't know John Perry. John Perry is not a friend of mine. And I am no John Perry. But I can tell you that the man has written a brilliant explanation of how those of us who "work better under pressure" manage to function, quite productively at times.

No comments: