Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Things I Feel Good About Today

Okay, so the first game of the ALDS didn't go as well as I would have liked. Nate pitched a good game; not the great game we needed to win, but a good one. Still, I was impressed that our boys - coming off a disheartening end to the season and most of whom hadn't seen any postseason action - could walk into Yankee Stadium and hold their own, but for one bad inning.

Let me say it now - and I may say it again, so sue me - I despise the Yankees. Even if it wasn't us who was playing them, I would still despise them. I hate their hubris, their sense of entitlement. I hate how the national sports media fawns over them, ignoring every other team (except maybe the Red Sox)... honestly, if you weren't a Tiger fan, you might not have known WHO the Yankees were playing, if they were playing anyone or just having a little intra-squad action. And I reserve a special hate for Jason Giambi, that steroid-enhanced, greasy, disgusting representative of all that is wrong with baseball. Ick, ick, ick.

The only Yankee I can't bring myself to hate is Derek Jeter. I'm not sure why, maybe it's that he is truly a phenomenal ballplayer and seemingly decent guy. Maybe it's his appearance on SNL a few years back doing the "Derek Jeter's Taco Hole" skit, the jingle of which I still sing every time I see him. Whatever.

So back to things I feel good about. I love that I get to see my team play, that baseball is still relevant to me in October. THAT hasn't happened for a very long time. I'm feeling that good things are going to happen this week on the writing front. I feel oh-so-virtuous that I got up this morning at 5:30 and swam laps for 40 minutes - I'm going to try to do it a couple of times/week as I do love swimming. And I feel good that I'm here, blogging again. I've missed it and I'll try to do it more often in the coming weeks as KBloWriMo is just around the corner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

derek jeter did go to school in kalamazoo, so maybe that's what makes it o.k. to not hate him.