Friday, October 06, 2006

Into The Swim

"Honey, it's 5:30."

"Mmmmph."

"Beep beep beep."

"You know, I'm tired. I think I'm going to just sleep."

A minute passes. I tell myself it's okay to go back to sleep, I DESERVE to sleep. I can start this routine next week. Another minute passes. I think about my new suit, and how I HAD to go buy it last night so that I could get up and swim this morning. I open one eye. I think about the Tigers, and how they got up yesterday on less-than-optimal sleep and played some damn fine baseball, beating Jeter's team and evening the series. The other eye opens. I think about the commitment I had made to swim twice/week, and how failing to honor it could anger the baseball gods, causing them to turn their backs on my team. That does it.

"Aw crap, I'm awake now. Fine. Thank you. And I really mean that."

"Zzzzzzzz."

So began my day. Out of bed and to the pool, for a nice 3/4 mile swim at a decent clip with my new red suit and goggles with a strap that didn't break. I'm rediscovering my love of swimming - I'm not sure why I've waited so long to get back to it. I'm good at it, have good form, am moderately speedy. I even ended up in the fast lane today because the medium lane was crowded and very slow.

I feel virtuous and productive regardless of whatever else I do or don't accomplish today. It's all killing time anyhow with "work" and "life" (what-EVER) until 5pm when I get to spend another 3 hours of intense stress, hopefully capped off by intense joy. Go get 'em Tigers! ROWR!

No comments: