Sunday, May 29, 2005

Heaven On A Stem

Oh my oh my. It's that time of year and I am sitting here savoring the first Rainier cherries of the season. We discovered these at Pike Place Market not long after moving to Seattle; like any good pusher of addictive substances, the market vendors used the "first one's free!" tactic which resulted in us walking out with a couple pounds and a lifelong yen.

I can't fully express how achingly we look forward to their brief appearance every year (they're only available for about two months - late May thru middish July). Blackberries are as brief and delectable a treat, but in August they're readily available all over town free for the picking (ah, the Pacific Northwest - even our weeds bear fruit!) so they don't have quite the same cachet as these delicate and beautiful blobs of sweetness.

What a fabulous weekend this is turning out to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still don't understand people who pick the blackberries on the side of the road whilst waiting for the Edmonds ferry. I mean, don't the fruit get coated with car fumes and exhaust? Doesn't sound like good eats to me! :o)

protected static said...

Don't forget the Copper River Kings, either... *drool*

karyl -- I don't understand the folks that eat 'em off the side of the Burke-Gilman, either...

Janet said...

Mmm...cherries....and salmon...drool....and blackberries from the side of the road...mmmmm....

Lora said...

There is nothing quite as wonderful as locally grow produce. Peach season just began out here an dhe already have big beautiful blackberries.