Wednesday, December 21, 2005

We Were Speaking of Belief...*

"Mom, is that Jesus?"

Sophie points to the large crucifix at the front of the church where we're sitting and waiting for the beginning of the choral program. We're here to listen to the Northwest Boychoir perform "A Festival of Lessons and Carols," a concert patterned after the Christmas Eve observance at King's College in Cambridge, England.

And as should be clear by Sophie's uncertainty about the iconography she sees prominently displayed, our focus is on the music, not the message. Although Stephen and I are both from Christian backgrounds, neither of has chosen to continue on that path; if one felt the need to label us, "agnostic leaning toward pagan” would come pretty close.

This being the case, our kids have had very little exposure to organized religion of any sort. For them, a church is a place you go to hear Nathan sing in a recital (as he had earlier in the day, with the early prep level of the choir), or a place that houses a daycare center. Pretty windows, high ceilings, good acoustics. They know that there are folk called “Christians” and others called “Jews” and “Muslims” and “Pagans” but thus far they have only the vaguest notion of what it means to be a member of those communities.

Sophie's question is simple enough, so I follow suit with the simple answer. "Yes, it is."

Then Nathan chimes in. "Uhhh... why is he on that wood thing?"

Thanks boyo. So much for simple.

So it begins in earnest, the complicated process of discussing religion, faith, and ritual with the kids. I've both anticipated and dreaded its approach; this is where having a strong belief system to start from would be helpful, I think, in framing the conversation. But, instead, like any good secular liberal, I made my way that night after the concert to Amazon and ordered a few books that I think will be helpful in getting us started.

I want the kids to have a good understanding of what different people believe, and how those beliefs affect others around them, politically and socially. I want to give them the vocabulary and the histories, make sure they understand the major players and the major events, the differences and similarities. And if they find a belief system that resonates with them, that they want to explore in a more emotional/spiritual way, we’ll follow that path where it leads.

Even (or maybe especially) if it leads here.

*Major props to anyone who knows the title's obscure reference without googling!

7 comments:

protected static said...

Why should I speak, since I know nothing?

Okay, I confess: I had to google it, and IMDB is your friend... That is obscure. You clutter your head with that stuff? ;-)

Kristina said...

Sadly, yes I do. Though I will submit that it's completely beyond my control, the stuff that's tucked away in the nooks and crannies.

protected static said...

I'm hardly one to cast aspersions on retaining random trivia...

Janet said...

You know how I feel on this one...expose them to as much as you can and let them decide. My girl knows how I feel, yet she love, love, loves Jesus! She'll be going to church on Christmas Eve while I will be home cooking latkes. :)

And I have no idea what that title is in reference to. You do have a lot of stuff tucked in that noggin of yours. You should be on Jeopardy!

Anonymous said...

I think you are quite wise in exposing your kids to religion in general. My parents did not baptize me when I was born, and exposed me to both my Jewish heritage on my dad's side while going to church every Sunday with my stepmom. Also I took a ton of religion classes in both college and high school. Letting your kids choose what, if anything, to believe is a way to encourage independent thinking on their part. Plus with all the exposure to different religions, hopefully that fosters tolerance for people who may not think like that. And in this increasingly divisive United States, I think that is quite wise.

Anonymous said...

When I was a little girl (oh so very long ago), my grandmother took me to a different place of worship every weekend. We went to synagogue, christian, catholic, protestant, babtist churches, the Hare Krishna Temple in Venice, CA, you name it - we went! It was truly fantastic, I loved it!!!!

I also went to Catholic Sunday school and had my first communion.... very funny, really, because my Mom & Dad couldn't care less about faith/religion/spirtuality and my Gran was a self-proclaimed witch (non-wiccan - she made up her own brand of sorcery - it invloved lots of candles and cursing people for life if she was annoyed at them - believe me, you did not want to get on the woman's bad side - worse then breaking a mirror, really).

Like all good Catholic 7 year olds (or Catholic posers, like me), I made up enormous amount of sins to tell at confession and then couldn't sleep at night because I thought I was going to go to Hell for lying to the priest. ( Hmmm, maybe that last part was just me ).

Anyway - we are going to start going to the buddhist meditation center near our house - It really seems like our healthiest spiritual option at this point. The Center for Spiritual Living is also a great place to get exposure - it is very peppy, though, but I hear that's the fashion now in religious instituions generally ...........

Best of luck to you, Blessed Be, So Mote It Be, And Also With You, :) Vanessa

Kristina said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone. And Vanessa, what a great story. You should blog. :)