Monday, December 05, 2005

Cultchah



After the Nutcracker
Originally uploaded by monagrrl.
Oh yeah, baby. We got it, in spades.

Last weekend, our family attended not one, but TWO theatah events. On Saturday, we took in the Seattle Children's Theatre production of "Sleeping Beauty." It was wonderfully done - the sets, the singing, the acting... just fantastic (as girlie is fond of saying).

Then, On Sunday, we saw the Nutcracker together for the first time. Not knowing whether the kids (read: the son) would enjoy the ballet, we went the less expensive route and attended a (very good!) performance by the Olympic Ballet Theatre rather than the fancier and spendier Pacific Northwest Ballet.

We needn't have worried. Though boyo did admit that some parts were boring, he liked it on the whole and wants to go again next year. Ms. Thang was completely and utterly enthralled. She sat almost completely still through the performance, eyes riveted to the stage, and then clapped wildly when the times for clapping came.

It's interesting to think how different their childhood experiences have been (and will continue to be) than mine were. Each year they see several plays, attend concerts and baseball games, visit museums and the zoo and the aquarium. All of these things are easily accessible, one of the benefits of living in a city of Seattle's size.

Contrast this with my childhood growing up in a small town. I remember how exciting it was when we went on class field trips to one of the bigger cities nearby (Battle Creek, Lansing, or Kalamazoo) to see the occasional performance (the only one I remember specifically was El Sombrero De Tres Picos, "The Three-Cornered Hat" - bless Mrs. Malovey, my Spanish teacher) or visit museums or the zoo.

My grandparents did take me to concerts (old-time country music, natch), and we did have a movie theater (The Main - one screen, and you get what you get) but that was really the extent of my cultural access. Mine was not a theatre-going family, despite the fact that my hometown boasts one of the oldest in Michigan.

(Which brings up a minor digression. Tibbets Opera House is a beautiful theatre that was built in 1882. Thanks to its summer theatre program it was named by USA Today "one of the ten great places to see the lights way off Broadway." How cool is that? Not that I ever saw any professional productions there, but still.)

Sometimes I wonder... will my kids, by virtue of the abundance of opportunities they have, miss out on experiencing these things as special? Will they take it all for granted and eventually find it boring? Maybe, though I really hope not (and I'll do my job and remind them, frequently and with much vigor, how lucky they are).

Instead, my wish for them is that it will open up artistic worlds and possibilites that they can choose to know and dwell in where I was only an occasional visitor.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

We are becoming a culture that prefers to spend our time and money on other, less social, less artistic forms of entertainment. Of course, we're also becoming a culture made up of those who can afford to spend money on the arts, and those who don't have the luxury of affording even the cheapest seats for a family of 4.

I hope your dystopian TV-only Nutcracker scenario never comes to pass. Certainly, what I do want my kids to take for granted from the experiences they're having is that supporting the arts financially is something that you just do, to the extent of your ability.

Thanks for stopping by!

Kristina said...

Glad to bring those memories back for you. :) Any chance you have any photos of the lobby, the mural above the doors? I've looked online but haven't had any luck.

protected static said...

Glad the kiddos enjoyed it - from our end, The Boy's been humming the Spider King's song from Sleeping Beauty not-quite nonstop...

Oh, and how about some culture with a point (and perhaps an edge)? Too bad it's in NYC, eh?

DL said...

I wouldn't worry about them growing bored or being blasé about the arts.
Our culture need more parents like you. Or , I should say, we need more parents like you ( artists we). I think your kids will come out of it with a habit of going to see artsy things rather than being bored with it. They 'll think that's what people do and if they enjoy it, they'll keep doing it. It's wonderful that you are exposing them to it so young. So yes, they might build a critical sense about these things sooner than most people , but that's a good thing. Because it forces artists to have high standards to meet these little ones when they will be all grown up and hyper critical of what they see !
Yay you.

Janet said...

Hey, K! Nice post- I thought I was reading a part of my own life there, hee hee. You know what a huge fan we are of the arts over here at Monkey Hill. I think that children who are exposed to the theater/live performances do grow up to appreciate them as opposed to taking the opportunities for granted. I know that from experience- as do you.

Hey, have you ever thought about becoming a family donor to SCT? We are an in the wings family and a perk of the donation are workshops for each of the plays. Darian and I get so much out of them as there is usually an artistic exercise relating to the play, then a chance to meet an actor and go behind the scenes. I absolutely love that we have SCT for our kids in addition to the museums, Broadway at the Paramount, 5th ave, and PNB. You know are joke about gettin' culture whether we like it or not...Seattle definitely allows that to happen! Again, glad to you had such a culturally rich weekend!