Monday, April 25, 2005

Weekend Observations

In no particular order.

I am blessed beyond reason with wonderful friendships. Old ones, new ones - they're all making my heart a very full place these days. A big 'Thank you!' to the Universe for 'em all.

I love watching my boy play baseball. Nathan had a great game on Saturday. During one at-bat he was down to his last pitch (they get 6). He fouled off 4 pitches to stay alive (including one that bounced before it got to the plate), then got a hit and made it to first (scoring a run later in the inning). Later, playing second base, he caught a line drive and made an out. He was SO proud of himself and it made me unspeakably happy to watch him savor his sucess.

There is a downside to not watching local news. While I know the name and party affiliation of Seattle's mayor (Greg Nickels, D), the picture of him I've had in my mind was that of Columbus' former mayor (Greg Lashutka, R). This became clear to me when I met Mayor Nickels yesterday and realized that I wouldn't have known him if he had knocked on my front door to borrow sugar. For someone who considers herself fairly politically aware, it was quite embarrassing and I'm thankful a least that I didn't ask him what he did for a living.

I like U2 again. Not that I ever particularly disliked them, but now I'm back in the midst of the U2 love.

Baseball games postponed due to snow annoy me. A lot. But less so when they happen in Detroit than they would were they to happen in Seattle.

At 5, Sophie has apparently entered pre-adolescence And if it's any indication of what the full-blown thing will look like, we are TOAST. This weekend, my girl bounced between content, loving pixie and pissed-off, fire-breathing, hellchild. Luckily, cuddling and chocolate worked pretty well to coax her back from the dark side. She's obviously her mother's daughter, in that respect.

I look damn good in turquoise and lime green flower print shirts. Who wouldda thunk it?

Ow. Weeding on a nice day is a good thing. Kneeling to do said weeding is a good thing. Bending over to weed... not so good, and will result in an incredibly sore lower back. Note to self: you are not as young as you once were and you need to take proper care of your body. You don't ever want to deal with the consequences of non-compliance again. Ever.

Dancing is a freakin' lot of fun even if my groove thing is out of shape. I need more dancing. Come on, Seattle - who's with me?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You went dancing! I am totally with you. When and where???

As for Sophie's behavior, we called it "Adolescence Lite"... and I've heard there's more in store. Crazy enough, you'll be headed to menopause when the real thing hits. Start stockpiling the chocolate now.

Tracey

Kristina said...

Good question on the where. I know nothing about the where! That's how out of it I am. Somplace that plays music I like. Does that help? *g*

Janet said...

Ha! I've got a 7 &3/4 year old about to turn 16! That's why I am reading the self help books for parents of teens *now*. And I recall from my adolescence that chocolate had a huge factor in bringing me back to reality. :)

Dancing- you know I am up for that! I'd like to go out to an 80's night, but that's not really your cup of tea, is it?

~ap said...

oh she does the 80s...does she ever. just start the first line of any new wave song and she'll finish the rest of it all for ya!

don't forget the thompson twins!

"reviving ophelia" is a great book for all you mommies of teen pre- and grammar schoolers.

*chuckle*

also, "indigo children" is supposed to be good, but i hain't read it. :)

and, ms. k, we shall dance our booties off this weekend, whether gardening or seeing bands. perhaps more of a safety dance?

ahem.

Lora said...

I loved reading your description of Nathan's game play. The son you love dearly having a such a wonderful time playing the game you love dearly.

I also wanted to let you know that I tagged you.

protected static said...

Talk to Deb - she'd be up for dancing... ;-)

Janet said...

Ya, ~ap, I know what a freak k is with regard to knowing every song lyric there is. We went on a road trip a couple of years ago and she sang the words to *every song* that was played in the car. Singing is one thing, but dancing is something I have yet to see k do....

S-s-s-s.. a-a-a-a.. f-f-f-f-.. e-e-e-e- t-t-t-t.. y-y-y-y-y.. Safety......Dance!!

Have a great time this weekend!

Kristina said...

Man! Called a freak on my very own blog! *grin* Eh. I'll own it. Nathan and Sophie seem to be picking up my knack for remembering lyrics, as well as my knack for making them up when they don't exactly know them.

Lora, thanks for the tag! Very cool idea... tracking a meme in the wild. I will get on it post haste!