Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Music and Mortality

I was wasting a bit of time tonight, browsing in the Apple music store. You know - typing in the names of artists I like to see what's available, have they done anything new, stuff like that. On the Natalie Merchant page, my eye was drawn to the box containing iMixes... song mixes created and published by Apple music store customers.

I knew when I saw it what it would be, and still I clicked on it: Mom's Final Mix. Created for someone's mom who died awaiting a liver transplant. It hit me in the gut, still lingers with me. And it got me thinking... I wonder what music my kids will remember me by?

Certainly there will be some Moxy Früvous in the mix. Hopefully something from their "Finally Back From Fucking Hiatus Tour '24." Beyond that, it's hard to tell. If luck and fate go my way, there's a lot of music between then and now, new artists to discover, new styles, new songs to make up my own words to (and to embarrass the kids by whilst singing them). And while right now their tastes in music are heavily influenced by mine and Stephen's, I really look forward to the time when the tables are turned and the kids bring new stuff to us.

Though I do have to admit - I had my first old fogey tantrum a few weeks ago. At Seattle Center's Center House, there's a stage that on the weekends always has some performance or another going on. This particular Sunday, there were several groups of kids coming on and dancing - all different styles and routines. Some of it was enjoyable, neat costumes, nicely choreographed. But way too much of it was blonde white teenaged girls dressed in black hoodies and track pants, trying to look all cool and hip-hoppy. Really they just looked silly and their routines were boring and unimaginative.

"You call that dancing? What is that crap?" I was overheard to say, not bothering to hide my disgust. Yep. It's the old "You kids and your music... now back in my day..." cliche. Eek. But honestly. I have nothing against newfangled music and dancing as long as it's GOOD.

Please please PLEASE may my kids know the difference.

4 comments:

protected static said...

Heh... This is just your first time?

Janet said...

K, do my eyes deceive me...Did you actually say 'newfangled'?! Hip hop is 'newfangled'? (To your credit, I am sure you weren't being literal, but still, it is my duty to tease.)

And crap, or not, it's all a matter of taste...hopefully my kid will remember me as cool and hip-hoppy with a side order of show tunes, torch songs, rock classics, and alternative greats. While she ends up liking country and folk music. :)

Janet said...

OH! And I forgot to say that I *love* reading the artists' iMixes on iTunes! It's like reading the liner notes of albums where bands thanked bands that heavily influenced them. It's how I discovered, and still discover, new music.

~ap said...

new music for you when i come up....oh boy.

robinella? you know 'em? you will!

finally, i got my bills cd back. a copy shall be yours.

and, the duhks, i finally got me some duhks. you, too, shall benefit.

don't worry about the kids, as godmother, i will tell them to never buy greatest hits of anyone good, and to read the lyrics before buying. and other stuff, too.