Tuesday, April 20, 2004

ReFocus Pocus

Talk about your bad timing... enabling comments right before I ran out of things to say. Honestly, I feel like I haven't had an interesting thought in my head for weeks, certainly nothing that's seemed blog-worthy.

And there, in a nutshell, is the problem. I've posted a few things that I really liked, that turned from just an observation of an event or how I was feeling on a certain day into something more, and now I've gotten myself into a space where I'm feeling like every time I write here there has to be a Point.

And that's not working for me at all. So I'm going to try getting back to the way I started... popping in here every day, however briefly, with a little something - pointless or no.

So for today, here's a great quote that resonated for me in my current state of baseball obsession. Yeah. I'm still there. The Tigers are playing .500 ball right now - not great, but so very much better than last year that it's still damn cool. But it's not just Tiger baseball I'm obsessed with, it's the whole sport, from Nathan's t-ball games to looking for cards on eBay to recommiting to my absolute loathing of the Yankees and everything they stand for. I'm reading, talking, watching, listening, dreaming, worrying, writing, and loving baseball. There is no end in sight.

What? Oh right. The quote. It's from Good Enough To Dream by Roger Kahn A really terrific read, it's the chronicle of the 1983 season of the Utica Blue Sox, the Class Single-A minor league ball club that Kahn bought into as President. Reading it has both made me want to buy my own minor league club and has shown me that doing so would likely be the death of me.

But the Blue Sox obsession, that we had to win, infected me as surely as it dominated Jim Gattis [the Blue Sox Manager]. I noted that a Korean passenger plane, Flight 007, had been shot down over Russian airspace, killing everyone aboard. I thought, One more move in the nuclear chess game that the United States and the Soviet Union play each day. That stress would pass. The real game was here at Murname Field, which had become the center of my world. The great issue was whether the Blue Sox won or lost. If that makes little sense in retrospect, it still was so for most of us during the final week of the season. We didn't want World War III to break out just then because it would have disrupted the pennant race.

I definitely relate. And goddess help me, it's only April.

No comments: