Sunday, January 28, 2007

WASL meets Pikachu, blood all over

In April, the boy will be taking the reading and math sections of the WASL (Washington Assessment of Student Learning) for the first time. Starting last week, as a way of helping the students know what kinds of questions to expect, his teacher started sending home practice questions as part of their weekly homework.

And now, apparently, I am having test anxiety on his behalf.

I find this strange because I was one of those freaky kids who enjoyed taking the state standardized tests. I've always tested well, and I loved the shuffling around of the routine during testing week. And as for the kid, he did fine on the practice sheet, and doesn't seem to be at all uptight about the test - what's to worry?

Tell that to my subconscious which treated me to a strange little dream in which Nathan, Sophie and I had to take the test, all together in the same room. But it wasn't your traditional reading and math test, oh no. The questions were these very complex story problems, and the very first one was not only testing math skills, but Pokemon knowledge (oh yes, boy is very much back into Pokemon these days and it's apparently bleeding into my life as well). There were 65 cards in the problem, and I had to figure out which one was the most powerful, based on hit points.

Of course, being in the same room as the kids was distracting me from the task at hand, so in addition to being flummoxed by the subject matter, I was also having a really hard time even understanding what I was being asked to do.

And the time limit was fast approaching...

Aaaagh!

Really. Aren't there other things my dreaming mind could better spend its time on?

3 comments:

El N said...

May I suggest sex? ;)

El N said...

ps. And sheesh! My god! Can you believe??? She provides exactly no detail and just kind of lets that bomb drop on us all, huh? Gotta get more info..oh, I also talked to iggy, she called tonight and plans to actually email us all very soon. Do not hold your breath!

hi!

Kristina said...

You may indeed suggest sex - it's a worthy subject for my dreaming mind and one I wish for nightly. But noooooo.

And yeah. I'll hold my breath. Not. Sheesh on the sheesh! Need to respond. Very soon.