Saturday, October 02, 2004

Adios, Edgar

Oh good lord. Thankfully we were at the ballpark last night instead of tonight. I was teary enough as it was yesterday with Ichiro's achievement and it being the last game we'll see this season. But tonight was Edgar Martinez' retirement ceremony and I would have been sobbing, utterly sobbing, as the city said goodbye to the best designated hitter in the history of baseball. He spent his whole career - 18 years - in Seattle, and he deserves every bit of the love that is lavished on him. I'm not sure what we'll do without him.

No big fan of the designated hitter in baseball, still I'm thrilled that the Designated Hitter of the Year award will now be known as the Edgar Martinez Award. And I hope he makes it into the Hall of Fame. If he doesn't, it would be a great injustice to the man and the game.

This tells me two things:

1) I'm starting to become a bona fide Mariners fan. Not that it diminishes my love for the Tigers, and it never could (!), but I'm no longer just rooting for them because I happen to live here.

2) I probably need some kind of psychiatric help.

No comments: