Thursday, May 19, 2005

The Umpire Strikes Back

The year is 1984 and I'm a freshman at Coldwater High School. Then, as now, a hopeless romantic. Then, not-so-much as now, quite shy and unsure of myself.

The class is typing with Mrs. Jacoby. Not keyboarding, as a similar class would be called today. Typing. On IBM Selectrics, and a few spankin' new Wheelwriters.

The boy is quiet, with dark hair. He's a junior and he looks great in flannel shirts. He's on the wrestling team. I'm fairly certain I never say one word to him, but oh how I admire him from afar. I write his name, as anonymous lovesick girls do. I dream about him. I steal glances in class, look for him in the hallways and at lunch, take the long way to class so that I can pass by his locker. I'm a good-intentioned, non-threatening stalker.

On Valentine's Day, I send him a carnation. Of course I don't sign my name, only "Your Secret Admirer." (Yes, I am a cliche.) A very few of my girlfriends share my secret. I don't see him receive the flower, but I see him with it later and wonder if he thinks he knows who sent it... though of course he doesn't, or he's wrong. I never ever say a word.

He graduates, the crush passes, life moves on. I don't even know that I remember these things.

Until today. When, at the beginning of the Tiger's game, the announcer mentions that brothers Tim and Bill Welke are umpiring. Wait... Bill Welke? The boy?

Yup. He and his eldest brother are both MLB umpires and they're working on the same crew this year. The home series against Tampa Bay was the first that they've worked together in Michigan.

What a funny, random life. And where the hell has 20 years gone?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so cool.

~ap said...

he's a cutie-- what a nice face. you too, could have had 4 children and a'waited at home for your huntin' hubby.

heh.

life is very, very strange.

Lora said...

Cool Beans! From the interview he sounds like a pretty down to earth kinda guy.

Anonymous said...

It's a small world after all!. Something about Bill's face reminds me of Our Dear Howard.