Saturday, January 17, 2004

It's a früthing, you wouldn't understand.

Question: How many früheads does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer: None, they just sit there in the dark and insist that the lightbulb is on a "temporary hiatus".


Wish I knew to whom to attribute this one; it's brilliant, mostly because it's true. I often remind myself that lots of bands take hiatuses (hiatusi?) or even break up, and come back: The Hooters, Simon and Garfunkel, The Blonde Swedes, The Beatles. Aw crap. Scratch that last one.

For those of you following the recurrence my obsession, the latest is that I'm now spending $5.99/month to gain access to NewsWorld International so that I can watch Jian as he hosts >play. It's not Früvous, but it'll have to do for now. (And in all fairness, it also gives us access to other great music/arts channels like Trio, Ovation, BET Jazz, and FUSE. And TechTV. w00t!)

I'm also listening to lots of live shows that Stephen has been downloading for me (thanks again, sweetie). I ride the bus now with a huge smile plastered on my face, laughing out loud frequently at the between-song banter, tapping my toes, mouthing all the words. Yep. I'm one of those. I don't think it's coincidence that I often get a seat all to myself.

It's interesting that so much live stuff is being put out there of late. We've been 3 years in the wilderness, and I'm guessing that there's some weird energy right now that has cranked up our collective Frülonging, and has prompted the sharing of shows. Because as good as the studio CDs are, there's nothing to compare to the energy... the spontaneity... the JOY... of a live Früvous show. To be able to experience even a small part of that through listening to a recording makes the lack of the real thing somewhat more bearable.

So for now, I'll keep the faith and continue to sit in the dark, waiting for the stage lights to come up. I have to believe that sometime - this year? next? a few years down the road? - I'll have the extreme pleasure to hear, once again... "We're Moxy Früvous from Toronto, and My Baby Loves a Bunch of Authors..."

No comments: