Thursday, January 22, 2004

Happy New Year!

A hearty welcome to the Monkey! Well-wishes are accompanied by this realization, made as I was researching online with Nathan last night:

Stephen - Rabbit
Kristina - Rooster
Nathan - Tiger
Sophie - Dragon

Notice anything? How about if you group 'em into predator and prey?

Yeah. We're toast.

Related to this subject, I have to mention how much I love Nathan's school. I'm not sure if it's his teacher, or living in Seattle, or that it's the year 2004, but I'm amazed at some of the stuff they study; things that I wouldn't have had a chance of learning as a kindergartner in 1974 in Coldwater, Michigan. Here's an excerpt from a note that he brought home the other day:

Over the next two weeks the curriculum will center on the Lunar New Year. Early this week, we will have students begin charting the moon. This will help explain the science of the Lunar New Year and build up their anticipation for our celebration. We will also do activities around Chinese Astrology, Medicine, Math and Chinese Characters.

How cool is that?

No comments: