Thursday, November 17, 2005

Words That Bring the Tears

We had a lovely family evening; Thursdays are the nights we normally eat out, and our restaurant of choice is frequently Rositas, a yummy and uber-family friendly Mexican restaurant where we're on a first-name basis with a number of the staff. Sophie was full of chat and questions, Nathan and Stephen played table football, and I downed my margarita in no time flat. What's not to love?

Bedtime though, did have its drama, but not due to any family strife. No, Jack, Laura's beloved dog (On The Shores of Silver Lake) died, and Sophie wept the loud and bitter tears. I will say that the girl comes by it honestly; my tears were silent, but still they were there.

After I got her to calm down a little, I explained that she and I have what my friend Bonnie once referred to as "big feelings" and that she could probably look forward to a life time of crying at books, movies, dolphin shows, musical performances, parades, and particularly poignant Hallmark commercials (I do! I care enough to send the very best!).

But one thing I'm sure of: there is no WAY we're going to be reading Where the Red Fern Grows anytime soon.

P.S. Happy Birthday, Howard Dean! (grumble, unelectabe my *ass*, woulda shoulda coulda...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wanted a dog like Jack... and I don't even LIKE dogs (except the one I have, of course).

~ap said...

oh. my. god.

where the red fern grows.

i don't even remember what it was about, but just the name makes me want to sob. i remember being COMPLETELY devastated...in a little fetal ball, crying and crying and crying.

don't *even* get me started on charlotte's web...

oh, the horrah. the tragedy. mmmph!

Anonymous said...

My kiddo was very sad when Jack died, too!