Thursday, April 14, 2005

A Memeing I Will Go!

Passed on to me by fellow NFJ Lora.

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?
Man. This is a tough one. Can I be a series? Of course I can! There's no book meme police to stop me... ha! I'll take the Harry Potter septology, assuming we can avoid that dystopian world for at least long enough to allow J.K. Rowling to complete the final book It might not be high art, but it's a damn good story I'd want to preserve for future generations.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Of course! Certainly too many to count. The one that pops to mind right now is Ranger from Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum mystery series. Yum-my. Oh, and Mona from Tales of the City.

The last book you bought is:
It was three, and I bought them after browsing for a lovely hour at Half-Price Books on date night with my husband. (Yes. Dinner and a bookstore. That is why I love him so. Well, that and he takes the kids to baseball practice when it's cold and rainy so I don't have to. What's not to love?)

The last book you read:
Notes of a Baseball Dreamer by Robert Mayer. Chicken soup for a baseball lover's soul. (Damn. Can you believe that there actually IS a Chicken Soup for the Baseball Fan's Soul? Pernicious series, that.) It made me laugh and cry and rejoice at my luck that I was born a baseball fan.

What are you currently reading?
Game Time: A Baseball Companion by baseball writer Roger Angell. It's a collection of essays written over the last 40 years plus some new ones. Good stuff.

Five books you would take to a deserted island:
Only Five?!?!? EEK! Okay, I'll answer, but my list will probably change tomorrow.

  • Ulysses by James Joyce. I badly want to read it, start to finish, some Bloomsday. It almost happened once, in college, but we fizzled out around 11pm. If I were away from all distractions it would be my golden opportunity. Yes I said yes I will Yes.
  • Mama Day by Gloria Naylor. Because it's one of my favourite books of all time. Family, love, magic... oooh. I think I need to re-read it right NOW.
  • Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella. Because I would sorely miss baseball, and this is one of the best baseball books of all time.
  • The Collected poems of Robert Frost. Depending on how long I was stranded on said island, I could not only memorize his poetry, but also set it all to music in different genres... Folky Frost, Gangsta Frost, Classical Frost, Jazzy Frost... what possibilities!
  • Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott. Because, even on a deserted island, I'm sure that KFKD (K-Fucked) would be playing in my head and it would be great to have her there to remind me to turn it off.

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why:
Anastasia because she's the first person I thought of and I loves her, Stephanie because she likes lists and this is a listy kind of thing, and Terrilyn because I'd love to hear what she's reading.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Oh, Ranger... yum

~ap said...

ohhhhhhhhh, a literary meme.

wah. i may not take up the challenge here, as i forget characters' names as soon as the book is done and...aw heck, these kind of memes intimidate the hell out of meme.

we'll see, i'll need to ponder.

but i's so very, very happy you're thinking of me!

lurve.