Saturday, March 19, 2005

The Amazing Internets

There is coincidence and then there is fucking boggle and right now I'm dealing with the latter. In fact, if I didn't know better, I'd say that it's proof positive that I am the center of the Universe. I might just be the new Kevin Bacon and from here out all the degrees of separation are measured from me.

Let me try to explain - and to get the full effect, you'll need to follow the white rabbit my links. I'm minding my own business, doing my several times daily surfing of flickr and blogs I like to read. First, I hit flickr. One of my friends had recently posted a very cute and very geeky photo of himself in 1971.

Then, I start on the blogs, and I hit Protected Static. It's a fun political/geeky/ranty blog written by a friend here in Seattle. He's updated - yay! - and this is the post. You'll notice at the bottom that he's added the category tags "geek" and "politics."

Now, always being on the lookout for cool things I might add to my own blog, ways of connecting and categorizing, I click the "geek" link to see what happens. What I expected was a list of all his blog postings tagged in the geek category.

Nope.

I nearly fell out of my chair. I mean - what are the chances?

(I've linked to a screen shot, because there's a reasonable chance that the Technorati "Geek" tag page will have changed by the time you see it; the highlighted photo is the most recently uploaded flickr photo tagged as such.)

So I ask - cosmic coincidence? Or a blip in the Matrix?

Knock knock, Neo.

2 comments:

protected static said...

Heh... That's funny. As soon as you mentioned the picture, I knew exactly where this was going - that picture gave me flashbacks to, oh, 1977 or so... The clothing colors and shape of the glasses frame are different, but the gestalt?

Yeah. Well. No, I won't post one.

Ever.

My take? The 'net is big, but the number of people who're actively using it for community building (and blogging in particular) is pretty small.

It reminds me of the dynamics at work in some kinds of cryptography hacks: you only need 30 people in a room before you have a 50% chance of two people sharing a birthday... It seems amazing, but it's really all about the numbers. (It still seems pretty amazing, even knowing this...)

Anonymous said...

All I can say is whoa. I'm so proud to have been the geek posterchild for at least a few hours.

In that spirit-

In fact, you only need 23 people to have a 50/50 chance of the same birthday. 48 to have a 95% chance... so some 'amazing coincidences' aren't as amazing as, say, the Crossing Over cold-reading crowd would have you think. (NB- I teach quantitative methods so am compelled to be a geek by law.)

Still, I am proud of this particular coincidence. So much so that I'll now link to it, making for an insane clusterfuck of links. Vive la web!